Monday, March 7, 2011

Stepping Outside Our Comfort Zone

After church today we were invited to make sack lunches with a couple of families and then go downtown and pass them out to the homeless.  I have always had the desired to go help but I believe Satan keeps putting lies in my head and I've made excuses not to go....we're tired, Josh is at school and I have to work, we have two babies and it's not safe, they don't want our help, I don't know where to find them or where the right place to go is, and the list goes on.  In reality I just was scared and was too selfish to go.  When we were invited last Sunday to join these families, I committed ourselves.  I told them we would go so I couldn't backout!!  Josh and I packed our car this morning preparing for rain or shine (thank God we had shine!!).  It was such a great experience!!  I'm so glad we decided to do this.  According to the Portland House Bureau there were close to 1, 600 homeless people JUST IN PORTLAND in 2009.....and that was an 11% increase from 2007.
Garrett was such a big helper!!  He helped get the bags ready and then he wasn't at all scared to go ask someone if they wanted some food!!  He would go up to them and say, "Are you hungry?  Here's a hotdog!"  It was so awesome to watch him!!


















Josh and Aric preparing to help!  :)


Noah trying to help!
"I'm ready to hit the streets!!"
"We are too!!"
"Hotdogs, Hotdogs!!  Who wants your hotdogs!!"
Josh ran into one of his classmates helping at Potluck in the Park!!  It was a pretty awesome set up.  They had food, free check ups, free haircuts, free cleaning supplies like shampoo, soap, etc, free dental work, etc.  They said they meet at this park every Sunday all day!!

All the homeless people gathered around for the free clinic!

It was an awesome experience and we would like to make it a habit!!  If you live in the Portland area and would like to come with us, we'd LOVE the help!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment